Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Book Review - 'Netherland' by Joseph O'Neill

A novel set in New York and London through the eyes of a Dutch, cricket loving, financial analyst.

When I read in the excellent http://www.reviewsofbooks.com/ about this novel, long listed for the 2008 Man Booker prize 2008, it really grabbed my attention.


Post 9/11 literature is, I am told, an entire genre in itself, and although this event is an integral part of the story, it is only that: a part. The tale is brilliantly rich in the breadth of themes and characters so to label this as part of a particular genre would be a disservice.


A good novel for me, includes multiple insightful narratives which leave me thinking - that's so true!, and I am urged to reread for the enjoyment. This was a common experience.


O'Neill shows absolute mastery of language throughout. Its beautifully written and never dwells unduly. This is unquestionably my book of the year thus far, however I am half way through the much heralded (by Oprah at least), 'The Story of Edgar Sawtelle', so stay tunes for that review.

2 comments:

  1. Is there a chance to borrow it from you when you come next week ? Sounds very good !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes he sounds like you Knighto....... except the living in NY, London and Dutch part.

    ReplyDelete