Saturday, July 4, 2009

Result of the KL Half Marathon

The morning of June 28 saw my first competitive half marathon. One year ago, the thought of running such a distance would have frightened me senseless but today, I have run the distance in training many times so I knew that I could make it. The real challenge was how fast I could do it.

My aim was a time of under 2 hours, and given my training stat,s I felt that this was a realistic possibility. The runners could not have wished for more favourable weather conditions with a colder then usual morning, heavily overcast, and no wind. Just the standard tropical humidity to contend with.

It was an excellent atmosphere during preparations for the start at Merdeka Square in downtown KL. This public space is ideal for such an event with it’s wide streets and large central field and I was determined not to make the mistake made in a previous 15km race of getting carried away, going out to hard, and running out of petrol with 5 km left. So it was a nice, easy first 10km. I was counting on markers every km as promised by the organizers as my plan was to kick on in the last 7-8 km. Unfortunately these markers were not forthcoming and in any case, when I knew approximately where I needed to increase my speed to reach my goal time, my legs were not cooperating.

So 2.03.19 was my time. Plenty to work on for the next event, the SAFRA Singapore Bay Run in August where I will break 2 hours even if it kills me!

See me at the end - http://www4.marathon-photos.com/scripts/event_entry.py?event=Sports/2009/KL+Marathon;match=HM1453

PS - You may be wondering why there is no mention of Lina's run as per my earlier entry. A bit of a cock up on the entry front I'm afraid. By the time we realised that we had not entered Lina in the 10km event, entries were closed. Oops!

Lina's plan is to run in Singapore however and her training is going well.

1 comment:

  1. Looking strong at the finish, 2hrs will be a breeze for you in Singers. I'll struggle to do 2hrs for the 10km in my current condition and lack of exercise :-)

    ReplyDelete