Monday, July 13, 2009

Kiwi T-Shirts


I am awaiting delivery of some kiwiana t-shirts ordered from NZ.

The phenomenon of kiwi nationalism abroad is a niche that was just starting to be tapped by marketers when I lived in London during the 90's, and I gather that it has increased considerably since then. Perhaps as New Zealand matures, we are becoming more aware and proud of our place down there. It certainly helps when one can order online from the obscurity of south east Asia. Its fair to say that some of the t-shirts available at http://www.mrvintage.co.nz/ would have been up before the Race Relations Concilliator 30 years ago, in the days before Billy T and Bro Town. Particularly the T-shirt design above, which is part of my order.


So I do like to think that we have matured, and can now laugh about the things that used to give us the cultural cringe before, or were just swept under the carpet, instead of being celebrated as an example of the diversity and vibrancy that helps makes Aotearoa so cool and at the same time unbearably PC. What do I mean by 'swept under the carpet'? As a youngster, my Spanish ancestry was occasionally touched upon and provided ample explanation for browning like a Rotorua coin diver during those perfect, shoeless, ozone free, summers. Only recently was the dreaded family stigma of Maori heritage expunged from the dirty undies draw. No wonder 'Hola' is the extent of my Espanol today.
I wonder; perhaps there remains many New Zealanders today, for which a stray piece of Mediterranean DNA (heow xotic!) provides their answer for their propensity for flamenco dancing, spaghetti eating, or plate breaking.

Thanks to Debs for directing me to this website.

2 comments:

  1. Great to see your a proud, patriotic kiwi. Now i'd like to see you leading a campaign to get the all blacks to demonstrate those same values by singing our anthem.

    Another pitiful effort yesterday in comparison to the Wallabies.

    We won the game though !

    ReplyDelete
  2. indeed. It appears that headmaster Henry's talk has not gotten through. However I note that Donald is one of the best performers......until the whistle blows of course.

    ReplyDelete