Thursday, December 23, 2010

Best Reading in 2010

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen

 I have reviewed this in Kiakahakl already. I had been wondering about the hype for this author and I discovered it's well deserved. Unquestionably my favourite of the year and next year I am looking forward to reading his 2010 release Freedom.



Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

I knew nothing about this novel when I started it, except that it made Oprah’s choice a few years ago. Fair play to Ms Winfrey, many of the books that make her Book Club are excellent reads and this is no exception. Its a fantastic cross continental, intergenerational yarn that had me totally hooked. Furthermore it crossed into territory that is challenging to the reader, something I think good literature should always aspire.

 















Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes
Reviewed here. War literature as good as it gets.


Paris Trance by Geoff Dyer

Dyer’s novels are an excellent ‘go to’ choice for me. I am a big fan of his style, and the capturing of contemporary nuances within his writing is outstanding. This is by no means an outstanding novel, ‘Jeff in Venice, Death in Varanasi’, reviewed last year was better, however it was still a joy to read.

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Also reviewed this year. This guy is an incredibly talented writer and I also had the pleasure of reading an earlier work Number9Dream. Next year, his latest release, The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet is on my list.






Olive Ketteridge by Elizabeth Strout

The writing here is gorgeous. Strout is a class act using a central linking figure, Olive Ketteridge, who lives in a small town in Maine. From this she moulds together a collection of stories that will charm the pants of you.





Also enjoyed in 2010: Tinkers by Paul Harding and Far North by Marcel Theroux

No comments:

Post a Comment