Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Angkor Wat Half Marathon

This week we are recovering from an outstanding weekend away to Siem Reap, Cambodia where we competed in the 2009 Angkor Wat International Half Marathon. This is an event we have been looking forward to all year after hearing some impressive feedback from friends about the 2008 version.

Accompanying us was Antje and Stefan, Myriam and Andreas, and the Knight family and I must say, we made the dream team. Not because of our running ability, although we did have some handy athletes amongst us, but more because it was such a cracking group of travellers.

Arriving at our hotel (Soujourn Villas) at 9.00am inevitably meant a VERY early start in KL, but it was worth it as we had time to relax by the pool and complete a quick tour of the Angkor Wat temple at sunset. It was spectacular and definitely surpassed my expectations. Likewise, the accommodation , for which I was responsible, turned out to be exactly what was required. Thanks must go to Lina for her assistance in the internet search of hotels. I was falling short with ‘siem reap’, ‘accomodation’. Her suggestion of amending the search to ‘luxury’, ‘siem reap’, ‘accomodation’ proved to be the clincher. In Asia, luxury accommodation is very attainable. This is something I sometimes forget, but my lovely wife is here to remind me. Delicious food, luxurious private rooms, and a pool bar: need I say more?

As for the race itself, I was not in my best shape, but the running conditions were perfect and I ran as hard as I could, finishing in 2.02 hours. This is a beautiful course, peaceful throughout, and flanked by temples and majestic forest and jungle. The local population turned out in force to encourage us and the support at the finishing line was fantastic.

Upon re-reading this, you may be under the impression that the water in Siem Reap over the weekend was spiked with LOVE potion!; Louis Armstrong's, ‘What a Wonderful World’, playing in the background comes to mind! I call it like I see it however, and many thanks must go to to the dream team for contributing to a very memorable weekend for Lina and I. And we look forward to enjoying more ‘Wonderful World’ moments in the future.



Pre race, from left, Andreas, Myriam, Lina, Jono, Stefan, and Antje
Fresh and keen to go.

What a wonderfuuuulllllll...world..........................uooooooooh, Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah!


Alexa, and Andrew from KL are assisting in post race celebrations.



Its a small world. Ben from KL is clearly doing it easier than me. I was hurting by this stage thats for sure.




Angkor Wat at sunset. Beautiful.


















Debs and Lina at the pool bar.











Crazy German in Colombian hat.






The beer always tastes better after you've earned it.






Antje and Stefan
















No comments:

Post a Comment