Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Walking Adventure

KL, like Auckland, is a car town through and through. Partly through inadaquacies of public transport and because driving here is cheap and easy relative to most other Asian capitals, walking is a rare choice of transport. The rationale for this is clearer to me following my stroll home after collecting Isaac from Kindergarten. As the crow flies the distance is about 1.5 km from the Kindy to our home. So given these bare facts, walking Isaac home after Kindy should be feasible. Right? Unfortunately not.

The car was in for a service yesterday and I decided to do just this. Isaac was fine atop my shoulders feeding his face, basking in the glorious sunshine while I was doing it tough, head down, laden with baggage, evading broken pavement beside a fully fledged freeway, sweat coming from my brow faster then I could wipe away as that midday 38 degree heat hammered me. Upon my arrival home I looked like every passing motorist had thrown a bucket of water at me. Thankfully Isaac has not inherited his father’s physiological propensity towards colder climates.

No comments:

Post a Comment